RE: Outstanding issues

Regarding diaphragms and shear walls, I've found the book "Design for
Lateral Forces" by Ambrose and Vergun to provide a good description of these
elements and their design. It does include an example of a shear wall with
door openings using tabulated relative stiffnesses (Fig. 6.26);
unfortunately it does not seem to have an example of a horizontal diaphragm
with a web opening, although on pages 31-32 it does briefly talk about
design of web openings in diaphragms.

Regarding "dispersion" in development of response spectra, in a geotechnical
report I received for a past project it stated "The choice of whether to use
the mean or the mean-plus-dispersion value is up to the designer who
ultimately decides the factors of safety to be applied to the design." It is
mainly a question of uncertainty and risk. If you use the mean value, there
is a greater chance that it will be exceeded than if you use the
mean-plus-dispersion value. (For my project, the mean-plus-dispersion value
was about 30 percent higher than the mean value. I'm not sure, but I think
this may be the same as "mean-plus-one standard deviation?) If you scale
your results down to code values, this is probably a moot point, but if you
want to design above and beyond the code forces, this is one way to reduce
risk.