From: Jim Kestner [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 1:47 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Wood Diaphragm Edge

We typically provide solid blocking in every 3rd space between roof
trusses to bring the roof diaphragm load down to the shear wall. The
Architect says he has to have venting in every truss space and does not
understand why we need this blocking. We suggested that he have a
continuously vented soffit and add venting between the trusses where the
blocking is not required.

I thought about using Simpson H1 clip to help take the load down to the
wall, but then you still don't have sufficient edge nailing on the
diaphragm.

Any suggestions?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.