From: Leopoldo Sanz [mailto:leopoldosea(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 8:00 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: modeling composite beams in SAP2000

Dear Majid:
Thank you very much for your attention. I have a new question:
The model we're talking about (two elements connected only by joint
constraints between every pair of nodes) is very good for the composite
section, but:

How do you compute the final strength on the steel beam as a contribution of
the initial stresses (basicly a product of the steel beam, steel deck and
concrete slab self weights loads) resisted by the bare beam section and the
post-composite stresses (live loads, floor, etc.) resisted by the composite
section.

We must first compute initial stresses on the bare beam section. Then we
have to analize the composite section, acting only post-composite loads,
wich do not include steel beam, stell deck and concrete slab self weights
but live loads and any other post-composite applied loads.

How do you account for the contribution in stresses of the different
construction stages?

I can only figure to make two models (one for the bare beam section and the
other one for the composite section) and then make hand calculations in a
spreadsheet. Although, if I have to do this, I think it will allways be less
time consuming to use an equivalent section and go ahead.

What do you do?