a why to members

Why do we join our professional association(s)?

Why do we continue to be members and encourage others to join? Are we REALLY better off being the members of such associations than otherwise? Are we (both the engineering community and the public)benefiting from these outfits and getting at least our dues worth?

I completely recognize and appreciate the fact that our much useful and wonderful list is a direct result of the SEAOC existence. On the other hand, the quite successful SE Practice forum was - at least in my understanding - started by Bill Polhemus, solo.

These thoughts came to me in view of the recent heated debates spearheaded by much-discussed Dennis Wish's decision.

So, are YOU a member? And WHY?

Vyacheslav "Steve" Gordin, PhD, SE
Irvine CA