From: Scott E Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 8:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: FW: STAAD.etc for Architects - Timber, Masonry, Steel &
Concrete

Keep in mind that most engineering & architecture licensure laws leave a
"loophole" in that allows architects to practice engineering (and
sometimes vise-versa).  For example, in Illinois, the SE act doesn't
permit PEs to do structural engineering (i.e. that is you HAVE to have an
SE in Illinois), but does allow architects to practice structural
engineering.  While I am no lawyer, I interpret the info that I have that
an architect could do the structural design of a high rise in Chicago (I
certainly could be wrong though on that interpretation).  That doesn't
mean that any architects would be interested in sticking their neck that
far into the liability "chopping block", but it would appear that they
could.  I can't speak to California licensure laws.

Scott Maxwell

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Bill Polhemus wrote:

> WHAT!!!!
>
> I'm not the world's biggest fan of Research Engineers, partly because I've
always considered them a little on the "iffy" side
> ethically.
>
> This (IMO) is a case in point. Can they do this and not be sanctioned in
some way by the CA PE board, for instance?