Where are we headed?

I am sure that we all agree that our profession has changed
substantially in the last 30 years.

More liability
More complex codes
More complex structures
More complicated and refined design and analysis techniques
Computer analysis
Shorter design period
Shorter construction time
Fast track
Design build
More components engineered by others (not the EOR)
Less skilled construction workers
New materials
Greater competition
Downward pressure on fees

My question is where is all this leading? Will more engineers ultimately
wined up working for contractors or manufacturers (fabricators) not
Architects? Will the architect just create a concept and then it will be
up to the engineer and contractor to design and build it? With the aid
of the computer, will the design and detailing phases turn into one
seamless phase? Will non-engineers be doing engineering work (for
example wood trusses where a technician figures loads and inputs data
into a computer...an enginner oversees the work and stamps it, but how
effective is this? Is the engineer overworked, looking at hundreds or
thousands of designs?)

I realize that all of this depends on the types of structures that we
are talking about.........

I would welcome any and all opinions.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.