Re: Recent Ruling by California Board of Registration for Prof.Engineers

TENDER HEARTED AND TENDER EARED DELETE WITHOUT READING!!!

Surely, I have misunderstood this ruling!

This is a huge departure from my understanding of both the letter and the
intent of licensing law, and the purpose for Boards of Registration.  Isn't
the Board supposed to protect the public?  I even thought that the Board
was supposed to be concerned for the interests of the engineer.

What better way to protect the public than *not* sign a drawing until it's
ready for construction!

When an engineer signs a drawing, it's a certification.

If I understand this ruling correctly, I am grateful that I'm not licensed
in California.  I don't propose to sign a drawing, preliminary or
otherwise, until it's ready to issue.

This ruling, if allowed to stand would mean an Architect couldn't send me a
print.  I couldn't send him a print.  The owner of the project could not
receive concept prints for approval.  The contractor could not have
something "preliminary" for him to plan his work.  It would require that
all multi-discipline engineering design be done in a single office, since
only certified drawings could be exchanged.

I was going to say something about a "can of worms", but "snake pit" sounds
more appropriate.

I see, "SEAOC will continue to appeal this finding with the Board".  I
think a bringing suit against the Board for damages would more appropriate.

Please forgive the Rant!  I didn't *even suspect* our Licensing Boards were
staffed by the Federal Government.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

> From: Ron O. Hamburger <ROH(--nospam--at)eqe.com>