R..E..S..P..E..C..T (apologies to Aretha)

Since I'm now on my soapbox (re BORPELS and plan "checkers"), here's
something on what I believe is a related issue:

I've been seeing a lot of lament lately regarding the lack of status of
this "profession". Virtually all of it is right on the mark. However, if I
may pose a question: If we don't even have the backbone to stand up to a
bunch of bureaucrats in our own chosen field, what right do we have to
demand respect from the public at large?

Think about it. We allow a bunch of inexperienced, often unregistered
persons to review our work, and meekly roll over whenever they squawk about
the smallest nitpicking issue. The equivalent in the medical profession
would be sort of like having the nurses (or in some cases the janitors and
plumbers) tell the doctors how to treat a patient. If you want respect,
you've got to earn it, and you might as well start among your "peers" by
insisting on reconnecting authority and responsibility. If some "reviewer"
wants to supervise your work, make them responsible for their actions. Only
then can we step outside our own house and look for respect in general
society.

We need more EOR's to take the building departments to task over their
capricious, often ridiculous, and certainly gratuitous, usurping of the
EOR's authority over a design. These guys have zero responsibility for what
they do, yet take our authority, leaving us to hold the bag.

Whether we like it or not, we need BORPELS to stand up for the above with
us, (which they are doing). If this means ironing out some issues regarding
sealing of preliminary documents, it is a small price to pay. This is minor
stuff compared to the big picture.

Once we set our own house in order, we can venture outside. Until then,
we're a second rate "profession", and deserve the status we have.

I am not happy saying the above about a calling which I love and has
treated me extremely well, but it is nonetheless true.

And now, I take an ax to my soapbox and will shut up.

Peter Higgins, SE