Re: Letter to Editor RE: Weingardt Commentary

Xenophopic?  Let's try Nationalistic.  Also Protectionist.

I was born in this country.  I am prepared to die for it.  I also will
defend this country, and my fellow Americans from invasion -- even invasion
sponsored by big business in collusion with the Federal Government.

Who *is* the best man for the job?  The accounting department will tell you
the man with the cheapest price.  After all, engineers are a dime a dozen.
Import them at will, use them until they burn out, and discard them.
They're *so cheap* that you can simply replace those who aren't
satisfactory.

Do you *really* think that big companies care about you?  Do you think
they're interested in doing a *better* job?  Think again.  But if you'll
work for less money, they will beat a path to your door.

With a staff of over 100 engineers and designers on a project that was
experiencing a major slowdown,  I had to prepare a lay-off list of the 15
that would hurt the project the least by leaving.  That was over 25 years
ago, and the project (read quality) was the controlling factor.  A short 5
years later (different company, similar situation), the accounting
department made the decision and released the highest-paid (best, most
capable, most experienced) people.

Remember, when slave labour is available there is no middle class.  Only
the rich can have slaves, and the poor can't get a job.  Cheap labour will
always displace more-expensive.  It has very little to do with doing a
better job for less money.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561