RE: HSS connection manual

Title: RE: HSS connection manual

>Does the HSS connection manual include tables of additional HSS sections
>not found in the steel manual, or is this a separate publication?  I've
>seen reference on the list of a "black book" for HSS, and I was
>wondering if these are two different publications.

Yes and yes. The AISC/STI HSS Connections Manual is a stand-alone publication that supplements the AISC Manual. It covers connections that involve HSS. For convenience and because of changes to the listing and properties, it also has both a listing of HSS dimensions and properties (round, rectangular and square) and a copy of the AISC HSS Specification bound into it.

The shape listings in the HSS Manual differ only slightly (due to changes in production) with one exception. The exception is that the Manual lists steel pipe (ASTM A53) but not round HSS (ASTM A500), whereas the HSS Manual lists round HSS. Round HSS and steel pipe will both be listed in future Manuals.

You can see a description of the AISC/STI HSS Connections Manual here:

    https://www.aisc.org/publications/shop.asp?action="">

Charlie