RE: Recommended Reading, Part 2 of 2

I agree.  I got my MSE right after school.  It worked very well for me.  I
was a TA for intro. structural anaylsis (statics, trusses,
slope-deflection, moment-area, moment distribuation, etc.) during my
Masters.  Suddenly, all the stuff that I was taught when I actually took
the course made sense.  However, if I had gone out an had a job that used
all those techniques, then they probably would have still made sense.  I
do admit that the best way to learn something is to teach it (that is, if
you teach it well).

Ultimately, I am not sure that I like the idea of mandating when someone
should get a MSE (which would essentially occur if a MSE becomes the "1st
Professional degree...ie it would "have" to be obtained in the first 4
years after school). For some people, getting a MSE right away is the
right thing; for others it could be waiting 10 years or maybe even never.
Personally, I think that ever structural engineer could benefit from a
good MSE program, but I do believe that it should be a personal decision
until someone can give me a solid reason why a MSE should be required.
Otherwise, we will be forcing people to shell out another $10000+ for
something that we cannot supply a solid, good reason/benefit why they
should.  I think that someone with just a BSE can do just as well as
someone with a MSE with the right job experience (this means the young
engineer doesn't just get assigned to shop drawings or designing truss
after truss for the first 3 years of their new career.

Scott Maxwell