Who wants to be a doctor?

     I am truly amazed at the dialog on what an engineer should be. What does a
Masters or Ph.D.. degree have to do with finding solution to problems. Analyze
the stress level from a supposed earthquake in a frame is not as important as
knowing the connections should be at a lower stress then the beams. With all
the classes at the masters level very little was taught about design of
connections and no one talked about the amount of connection failures verse
member failure. In steel design we learned to design the lightest beams and
concrete classes taught the least amount of steel. I must be doing the other
kinds of structures as the ability to build the structures quickly is easily as
important as the cost of the steel. There were no classes in constructability
offered. There were no classes offered in specification writing. These are some
of the things which make a real world engineer good.
     If you feel you do not get enough money in your paycheck find a new job.
It will only take you eight years to become the doctor you want to be but did
not take the time to become. It takes even less time to become a lawyer. As for
me I am an engineer and do not like being compared to either. I solve problems
on how to build structures. I do not dispense pills of vast amounts of
verbiage. I know what I contribute to the world and do not need others to tell
me what it is. Your pay is between the doctor who need 8 years of additional
school and the iron worker who only has a high school diploma. That is where it
belongs. If you chose engineering for the money you chose poorly.
     Using the S.E. or P.E. license to limit immigration really upsets me. This
country was made up of many different races and nationalities. Anyone who loves
freedom will have problems with this attitude. This is the country where any
one can become what ever they want. We should keep it that way.
     One last point. A person who gets a Ph.D. to work in the engineering field
will find few jobs which will put his additional knowledge to full use. Any
person with a Ph.D.. can do ordinary structural design work, but most want to
do high profile work. This is the reason  they took the additional classes. The
problem is there is not much of this high profile work out here. The majority
of work is less then three story and can be done by a engineer with a BS and do
diligence to the laws of static. There is no need for the owner of a warehouse
to pay for a push over analysis when a simple UBC static analysis with
attention to connection will prevent collapse of the building.
     The first draft of this e-mail was deleted by accident. It was more
emotional and much more colorful. I believe the first draft was eaten by my
computer to protect me from making irrational statement. This is a very user
friendly computer.

Acie P. Chance     Engineer, Structural problem solver.