Re: Who wants to be a doctor?

Acie Chance,
     Thank you.  I've tried to explain it in my own way to friends and
relatives, with little success I'll bet.
JPRiley
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa
----------------------
     I am truly amazed at the dialog on what an engineer should be. What
does a Masters or Ph.D.. degree have to do with finding solution to
problems. Analyze the stress level from a supposed earthquake in a frame is
not as important as knowing the connections should be at a lower stress then
the beams. With all the classes at the masters level very little was taught
about design of connections and no one talked about the amount of connection
failures verse member failure. In steel design we learned to design the
lightest beams and concrete classes taught the least amount of steel. I must
be doing the other kinds of structures as the ability to build the
structures quickly is easily as important as the cost of the steel. There
were no classes in constructability offered. There were no classes offered
in specification writing. These are some of the things which make a real
world engineer good.  If you feel you do not get enough money in your
paycheck find a new job.
     It will only take you eight years to become the doctor you want to be
but did not take the time to become. It takes even less time to become a
lawyer. As for me I am an engineer and do not like being compared to either.
I solve problems on how to build structures. I do not dispense pills of vast
amounts of verbiage. I know what I contribute to the world and do not need
others to tell me what it is. Your pay is between the doctor who need 8
years of additional school and the iron worker who only has a high school
diploma. That is where it belongs. If you chose engineering for the money
you chose poorly.
     Using the S.E. or P.E. license to limit immigration really upsets me.
This country was made up of many different races and nationalities. Anyone
who loves freedom will have problems with this attitude. This is the country
where any one can become what ever they want. We should keep it that way.
     One last point. A person who gets a Ph.D. to work in the engineering
field will find few jobs which will put his additional knowledge to full
use. Any person with a Ph.D.. can do ordinary structural design work, but
most want to do high profile work. This is the reason  they took the
additional classes. The problem is there is not much of this high profile
work out here. The majority of work is less then three story and can be done
by a engineer with a BS and do diligence to the laws of static. There is no
need for the owner of a warehouse to pay for a push over analysis when a
simple UBC static analysis with attention to connection will prevent
collapse of the building.
     The first draft of this e-mail was deleted by accident. It was more
emotional and much more colorful. I believe the first draft was eaten by my
computer to protect me from making irrational statement. This is a very user
friendly computer.

Acie P. Chance
Engineer, Structural problem solver.