RE: base plates subject to uplift

Charlie Carter wrote:

>The larger hole sizes are mostly intended for the usual application of a
> base plate, which is to transfer axial compression from the column into
> the foundation. The anchor rods don't usually do much after erection in
> that case. For other applications, such as base plates with moment or
> uplift, the hole size is more of a concern for load transfer.

Charlie, I am curious as to why AISC feels that the "usual application" of
a column base plate is to transfer only compression. In addition to uplift
or
moment, many base plates transfer shear forces. Thus, an oversized hole
creates problems for load transfer under many conditions. It seems that
AISC should address these situations as well as the "simple compression"
case.