Re: Recommended Reading, Part 2 of 2

No question about it!  The BS with 4 years of experience and a P.E.

When I was doing teaching, I would tell my students that 5 years after they
graduate it makes no difference if they have an MS or Ph.D. or even a BS.
They looked at me in amazement as they had been brainwashed into believing
that they needed an MS to get a structural engineering position.  Of course,
they were always told this by Ph.D.'s whose only experience was teaching
students to be Ph.D.'s instead of P.E.'s.

The Ph.D. with no experience would think that he/she was worth more than
he/she deserved and would have to be taught *practical* engineering before
they could do anything.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jake Watson wrote:

>>        I have posed this question to a number of people in the past, and I
always get different answers.  Lets say you are hiring an engineer and
you have three candidates:

1. B.S. Degree with 4 years office experience and a P.E., maybe an S.E.
2. M.S. Degree with 2 years office experience, maybe an P.E.
3. Ph.D. No office experience

Which one do you hire? - I would put salaries on them if I thought I
would be even close, but I have no idea about CA salaries.<<