Re: Who wants to be a doctor?

There has been a lot of good discussion on the merits and drawbacks of the
masters degree.  Does it prepare a person to be productive for a real world
employer?  If it doesn't, why not?

Basically, a University, School Of Engineering, Civil or Structural Department
has options when presenting a Masters Degree Program.  Should the program
prepare the students for productive employment in the real world, employment in
the research world, or continued education on a doctorate track?  Many programs
try to address all three, or two out of three.

Some universities try to prepare students for productive employment in the real
world by employing practicing engineers to teach the real world "design"
classes.  I know, because I teach Advanced Steel Design (graduate course) at a
California University for just that reason.  My students still need real world
experience to be really productive, but I like to think they'll progress to that
point faster because they were taught be a practicing engineer.

If you a practicing engineer and ever have the opportunity to teach a graduate
level design course, jump at the chance.  Not only will the class preparation
force you to really become knowledgeable about the topic, the students will be
better prepared to do real world design for their employer.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo