RE: Interesting structural note...

Thank you Bill, I stand corrected and embarrassed. Prior to my original email, I had called USG specifically regarding this item, and was told that it didn't have a structural value and was not to be used for structural sheathing. Obviously, that is where I ended my search. The blame still lies on me.

Freshman mistake,
Richard Lindenberg

I'd rather be proved wrong than falsely think that I am correct any day.

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:39:27 -0700, eaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org wrote:

>Although I will not use GWB as a shear resisting material, there are
>provisions for its use in the code. Check out Table 25-I in Volume
>1. For 5/8" GWB (yes, unblocked!) with 6d cooler or wallboard nails
>at 7" o.c., the capacity is 115/2=62.5 PLF (use only 50% of the
>tablulated capacity in seismic zones 3 and 4).

>Sooo...when you say "improper", you should really clarify that this
>is possibly not your "preference" instead of insinuating that this
>material is not allowed by Code. That's what I do. I mention to my
>architectural clients that, although GWB and stucco is allowed by
>Code to be a shear resisting material, I will not use it as such.

>I just wanted to mention this before your architect embarrasses you.

>Regards,
>

>Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
>ALLEN DESIGNS
>Laguna Niguel, CA
>http://www.AllenDesigns.com

-- Richard Lindenberg, rel(--nospam--at)dbfinc.com on 06/20/2000 at 1:27:16 PM