Who wants to be an engineer?

This thread reminded me of a story an old engineer and mentor told me:

When I first graduated, I thought my education was pretty good, but I wished I
had learned more of the practical design skills necessary to be a productive
engineer.

After 8 years,  I thought my education was pretty good, but I wished I had
learned more theory on the behavior of materials, the background behind code
formulas, and more sophisticated analysis procedures.  I was facing more complex
problems without the right tools.

After 15 years, I thought my education was pretty good, but I wished I had
learned more about managing and dealing with different kinds of people - within
and outside the company.  Aren't most problems really people problems?

After 25 years, I thought my education was pretty good, but I wished I had
learned more about business and financial management.  I was lost reviewing our
company financial statements, and even outside the firm clients and projects are
all driven by money.

After 35 years, I thought my education was pretty good, but I wished I had
learned more about the really meaningful things in life, like art, literature,
philosophy, history.