RE: base plates subject to uplift

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> Not meaning to be flippant, but is it the "role" of AISC to
> do our engineering for us, or simply to provide some design
> aids, in the form of examples covering representative cases?

The point of my question is that AISC has based its "Standard
Practice" on ease of installation of anchor bolts but has not
done much to address the difficulties it creates in design
for transfer of shear forces. (It seems that historically the
steel-to-concrete connection has not been as well developed in
standard industry specs, or even in engineering education,
since it is not entirely structural steel or structural
concrete.) I don't expect AISC to do my engineering for me
but I do expect AISC to look to ways to minimize design
problems. Shear transfer thru column anchor bolts seems to
me to be a common design problem. I guess I just "reacted"
to the statement that the "usual application" is one in which
the anchor bolts don't do much after installation of the
column, which in my experience has not been strictly the case.