RE: Who wants to be a doctor?

From:	Rogers, Robert [SMTP:Robert.Rogers(--nospam--at)Woolpert.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, June 20, 2000 9:36 AM
To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject:	RE: Who wants to be a doctor?
[Acie Chance]  Roger
See my comments below:
Acie,

See my comments below:

<SNIP>
>I am truly amazed at the dialog on what an engineer should be. What does a
>Masters or Ph.D.. degree have to do with finding solution to problems.
<SNIP>

<SNIP> The answer to your
question is fairly obvious; complexity of the problem to be solved and
mastery of the subject are directly proportional.

It is my experience that most often we make problems more complex then they
need to be. Additionally my procedure to solving complex problems is to make
them a series of simple problems and solve them one at a time. Usually works
for me.

<SNIP>

Careful here..... your experience with graduate school may not be the same
as others.
<SNIP>

That is very true from what I have read on this list today. I do not think the
fault is with the professors. I most likely did not pay much attention after
doing a concrete beam bending problem using a parabolic stress block and a
nonlinear stress strain curve to determine the ultimate capacity of a
triangular beam ( used a lot of funny "S"). In my twenty + years in engineering
I have never used parabolic stress distribution or triangular concrete beams.
While in school and after, I find if I get several books and read them I can
solve most complex problem.
<SNIP>
I deleted to much but I think you get the idea.

My family is in the construction business. My dad and his uncle were a
carpenters, one brother is a carpenter and the other brother is an electrician.
I worked as a carpenter before becoming an engineer and if need be can probably
do it again. I worked for an old boy ones who said " If the money out weighs
the bull s..t take the money. If the bull s..t out weighs the money find a new
job."  To my way of thinking there is very little bull s..t and a lot of money
in engineering.

<SNIP>
>    Using the S.E. or P.E. license to limit immigration really upsets me.
><SNIP>
This issue is not as simple as loving your country.  I love my country; I do
<SNIP>  Take this hypothetical
question and answer it:
 I'm just saying there's a lot of things to consider, not
all of which favor you - the worker.
<SNIP>
     First it is not my country I love. I love the freedom this country has.

     Second I have worked for Bechtel and Disney. Bechtel sponsored a number of
Russian engineers in the mid 80's. After the six months you talked about they
were not about to work for 50% of what I made. They wanted a whole piece of the
pie not half. I have had other engineers born and bread in this country cut my
prices when there were more engineers then there was work to go around. We all
did a little more for a little less then. Disney also used over seas engineers.
We did the conceptual work here and the engineers in Japan finished the work to
there codes. It worked out pretty well. By the way Disney has a couple of good
engineers on there staff with Ph.D.'s. Hi Kent and Mo. How much of your Ph.D.
work do you use on a daily basis ? I think the Ph.D. is great jest not very
useful to most of us on a day to day bases.
<SNIP>
>     One last point. A person who gets a Ph.D. to work in the engineering
field
>will find few jobs which will put his additional knowledge to full use.
There is no need for the owner of a warehouse
>to pay for a push over analysis when a simple UBC static analysis with
>attention to connection will prevent collapse of the building.
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
Again...be careful here..... there are lots of folks who go through the

<SNIP>
The only points to my comments here are be careful how you generalize.....
and realize there's a lot more going on than folks trying to "limit" or
"exclude" the people in our profession.
<SNIP>

Robert I do not doubt your dedication to Structural Engineering. We are two
very different people with different ideas about life. I will not reply to
additional comments on the list as I truly do like the technical discussions
better. With all sincerity I hope you get as much from Structural engineering
as you want. It has been very good to me.
     I tried not to generalize.
<SNIP>
Robert C. Rogers, PE
<SNIP>