Re: Recommended Reading, Part 2 of 2

Having performed a good deal of forensic work, I am not so sure that the
PhD has the advantage you suppose.  Knowing how things get designed,
built, inspected, and tested is often much more important than the
ability to perform pure research.  It does not take a PhD to know first
principles, and first principles are quite often sufficient in forensic
engineering. Further, the PhD may not have a handle on issues such as
codes, past and present.

Perhaps if the PhD has a specialty and if the firm were sufficiently
large.........otherwise, just hire him/her as a consultant when the
occasion arises.

Just my $0.02.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com