RE: Recommended Reading, Part 2 of 2

Perhaps I was a like unclear.  I did not necessarily mean that the PhD
was more qualified, or "smarter", but that lawyers and courts prefer to
see lots of sheepskin.  Often the "more educated" haven't a clue on
practicality, common sense, or how things are really built or work.

When I worked in Orlando, there was a concrete frame building with
precast skin that had a lot of cracking in the precast.  We were asked
to give a proposal to design repairs and oversee/observe the repair
work.  The original analysis by a big name forensic/special structures
firm out of New York City. They stated that the frame was inadequately
designed, and that the cracking was due to too much drift under 100 mph
design wind loads.  They had reams and reams of computer print-outs to
back it up.

Now I watched them build the building in question (it being a couple
blocks from my office), and lived and worked near the building for the
four or so years that it existed.  The building was lucky if it ever saw
a 60 mph gust in a thunderstorm, let alone a 100 mph wind.  Obviously
the 100 mph wind had not caused the problem.  The big name firm did not
have a clue.  We told our prospective clients this (in a more tactful
way).  Needless to say we did not get the job.

Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering