Re: Info needed on flitch beams

Forget the fancy "sharing of stresses" between wood and steel.

The wood will creep under load and give its portion to the steel in short
order.

Simply size the flitch plate for the loads, and use the wood, and the
connectors, to it for lateral support.

I have a reference which confirms this around here somewhere...

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

P.S.  It's okay to use ASD for this ;-)

> From: Bill Polhemus <bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Info needed on flitch beams
> Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 9:51 PM
>
> Pardon a very elementary question, but could someone point me in the
direction of a good reference for their design?