Re: Snow Drift Loading.

Pat:

That will work, and I have seen such a build up referred to as a cricket.  Watch out for the increased dead load of the new cricket, and make sure there is no posibility of water getting under the cricket.  If it can get under, then it can freeze and build up, increasing the live load significantly.

Alternatively, sometimes it can be economical to reinforce the existing building.  Don't discard that option without due consideration.

Phil