Re: A992 welding - E70XX low hydrogen?

I have been taught that low-hydrogen electrodes should be just for most
( if not all) applications.  The A992 spec is essentially the A572 with
just a couple enhancements.  The primary enhancements that I recall are an
upper limit on yield strength and a change in chemical content.  You can
get the revisions for A572 gr50 with special requirements (which is
basically what A992 is) at the following location:

http://www.aisc.org/documents.asp?mode=docdetail&doc=68

Also, on the web site is an from Modern Steel Construction on A992.  It is
available at:

http://www.aisc.org/documents.asp?mode=docdetail&doc=69

Also, the first part of the series that Charlie Carter wrote titled "Are
You Properly Specifying Materials?" touches on this.  The article
mentioned that AWS D1.1 doesn't (or didn't) address A992 so it was advised
that steel could still be specified as A572 gr 50 with special
requirements.  I would assume that this might have been (or will
be) updated in the most recent AWS.  You can get that article at:

http://www.modernsteel.com/home.asp?iid=57&aid=167

With regrads to the E70xx, keep in mind that designate actually specifies
a weld process (specifically the shielded metal arc welding process
[SMAW]).  It was recommended to me that E70xx should not be specified, but
instead that generic statement to use "70 ksi low hydrogen electrodes"
or some such should be used.

BTW, most of the above I learned from the seminar that Bob Shaw does on
welding.  So, I would agree with Albert Meyer's post.

Hope that helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE