Geography -- Re: Average Salary by Experience

I live on Florida's Gulf Coast.  Access to the white sands of Pensacola
Beach, and the Gulf of Mexico is worth at least $10,000 per year, relative
to Birmingham, or Mobile, Alabama.  Double that if you're coming from
Atlanta.  Don't believe it?  Try to get a job here.

The west cost seems to be similar to the Gulf Coast, except that cost of
living is *so* high out that way that salaries are lots higher than
anywhere.  Otherwise no one could afford to live there.

When I was losing engineers from the midwest to Denver, I discovered that
(25 years ago) the view of the Mountains was worth about $5,000 per year.
Does that translate to about $15,000 today.

And I know of one place (which shall be nameless), that's so remote,
backward, humid, full of snakes and alligators, and far away from *any
other* market for engineers that it takes a *premium* to attract someone
there.  One clue, the word "grits" is pronounced with two-syllables.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561