Re: Canada Snow Load

> From: "Fountain Conner" <fconner(--nospam--at)pcola.gulf.net>

> 'Just got a call from a client who is writing an equipment spec for a job
> near Kenora (sp), Canada.  He says it's just north of International Falls,
> Minnesota.

There's more between International Falls and Kenora than the miles.

> I know the local building official is the place to check, but can one of
> you give me a handle on something he can use for his preliminaries.
>
> I'm guessing somewhere between 50 and 70 psf.
>
> Just as a chuckle...  He left word on my answering machine and asked if I
> thought it could be as high as 20 psf.  I know what he's doing.  His
> equipment housing is normally designed for a roof live load of 20 psf.
>
> Boy, is he going to be surprised!

Any local building official will recommend that they/you get a copy of
the Ontario Building Code 1997. All required loads are defined.
Environmental loads are tabulated in Chapter 2 for most populated
centres.

Kenora:
Ss = 2.1 kPa = 43.9 psf
Sr = 0.3 kPa =  6.3 psf
Therefore, typical roof SL = 1.98 kPa = 41.5 psf (caveats apply)

q(1/10) = 0.23 kPa = 4.8 psf
q(1/30) = 0.28 kPa = 5.9 psf
to be used with OBC/NBCC wind factors

Za = 0
Zv = 0
v = 0.00
(Canadian Shield, pretty stable geologically speaking)

-38C (2.5% Jan) < T < 28C (2.5% Jul dry bulb)
-36F < T < 82F

> P.S.  We don't *do* snow down here.

P.S. ASCE7 commentary says that we don't do snow properly up here,
either. Go figure.

P.P.S.
Your friend and/or the project will require a couple things:
1) an engineer licensed to practice in Ontario willing to seal their
work or a temporary license from PEO for each job. We don't have
industrial exemptions for the license.
2) possibly, a certificate of authorization permitting them to provide
engineering services to the public (read, anybody) in Ontario.

Contact Professional Engineers Ontario <http://www.peo.on.ca/>

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International