Re: Wall thickness of HSS sections

> From: "Mike Valley" <mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com>

> b/t is a little high).  Instead, I am more irritated by the reduction
> of overall section properties forced on us by unethical,
> unprofessional, legalistic, cheap, low-life steel producers; I am
> personally and professionally disgusted by the level of chiseling
> encountered in our system.  I believe that the correct solution is to
> fix the material specs so that we get what we pay for, instead of
> moving to a system of "nominal" dimensions.  Of course, what is right
> doesn't usually happen.

Mike,
The fault is in the ASTM standards for tube sections. It's the same with
gage materials. The standards were established to reflect manufacturing
capabilities at the time. ASTM was reluctant to change the standard.
Now, we have new standards to reflect the current manufacturing
practices. In Canada, we have been reducing capacity of A500/A53 tube
sections by as much as 20%, for several years, when we were unable to
obtain HSS.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International