Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Fire Protection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

U.L. has had a virtual lock on the "canned" systems for many years.  There
are many assemblies contained in the U.L. Fire Resistance Directory.  In a
given U.L. assembly, you must have all the approved ingredients or the
assembly is not approved.  If you change deck manufactureres you may loose
the assembly rating.  The UBC probably has the most prescriptive generic
assemblies for given fire ratings.

Traditionally the fire rating has been the domain of the architect, but
often times the architect needs some help from the structural engineer.  And
occassionaly the design team needs the input of a fire protection engineer.
There are not many fire protection engineers.  

The fire protection engineer can design assemblies to provide a given level
of performance, but his designs will probably require the approval of the
Building Official.  The summary answer is that the architect is the captain
of the design team under which the fire protection engineer can be brought
on board.  The design team provides a design that will probably require the
approval of the building official.

This is a link to many fire related links:   There is also a particularly good book
by Walt Coon.  I don't have it in front of me, but it is something like Fire
Protection Engineering Handbook for Architects and Engineers.

Harold Sprague

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Michael Zaitz [SMTP:mzaitz(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Monday, June 26, 2000 9:44 AM
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Fire Protection
> Hello,
> We have a building which is required to be Type II construction per the
> Standard
> Building Code.  This requires the structural members to have fire ratings
> from 2
> to 4 hours depending on the member. I have not done a building that
> requires
> Fire Protection at this level.   My questions are:
> Who's responsibility is the Fire Protection?  Ours, the Architect's or
> both of
> us.
> Are there any good references out there on this subject?
> I understand that there are prorated assemblies for fire rating.  Is this
> published by the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL)?
> Thanks,
> Mike