RE: Fire Protection

Mike,

U.L. has had a virtual lock on the "canned" systems for many years.  There
are many assemblies contained in the U.L. Fire Resistance Directory.  In a
given U.L. assembly, you must have all the approved ingredients or the
assembly is not approved.  If you change deck manufactureres you may loose
the assembly rating.  The UBC probably has the most prescriptive generic
assemblies for given fire ratings.

Traditionally the fire rating has been the domain of the architect, but
often times the architect needs some help from the structural engineer.  And
occassionaly the design team needs the input of a fire protection engineer.
There are not many fire protection engineers.

The fire protection engineer can design assemblies to provide a given level
of performance, but his designs will probably require the approval of the
Building Official.  The summary answer is that the architect is the captain
of the design team under which the fire protection engineer can be brought
on board.  The design team provides a design that will probably require the
approval of the building official.

This is a link to many fire related links:
http://www.nfsa.org/nfsalink.html.   There is also a particularly good book
by Walt Coon.  I don't have it in front of me, but it is something like Fire
Protection Engineering Handbook for Architects and Engineers.

Regards,
Harold Sprague