RE: Fire Protection

Harold,

Do you know anymore about how the IBC will handle fire protection?  The
reason I ask is that an article in the April 2000 Structural Engineer
magazine implies that the IBC will allow alternates to UL assemblies.  The
article is mainly aimed at masonry applications, so I am not sure about
other assemblies.  Any input that you can provide?

Also, I agree that the architect general dictates the fire ratings for
assemblies.  It has been my experience that the architect will determine
the required fire ratings and then select the appropriate assemblies.  The
structural engineer will provide some input interms of floor assemblies
(i.e. LW vs NW concrete, thickness of concrete, etc).

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE