Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Fire Protection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Do you know anymore about how the IBC will handle fire protection?  The
reason I ask is that an article in the April 2000 Structural Engineer
magazine implies that the IBC will allow alternates to UL assemblies.  The
article is mainly aimed at masonry applications, so I am not sure about
other assemblies.  Any input that you can provide?

Also, I agree that the architect general dictates the fire ratings for
assemblies.  It has been my experience that the architect will determine
the required fire ratings and then select the appropriate assemblies.  The
structural engineer will provide some input interms of floor assemblies
(i.e. LW vs NW concrete, thickness of concrete, etc).

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Sprague, Harold O. wrote:

> Mike,
> U.L. has had a virtual lock on the "canned" systems for many years.  There
> are many assemblies contained in the U.L. Fire Resistance Directory.  In a
> given U.L. assembly, you must have all the approved ingredients or the
> assembly is not approved.  If you change deck manufactureres you may loose
> the assembly rating.  The UBC probably has the most prescriptive generic
> assemblies for given fire ratings.
> Traditionally the fire rating has been the domain of the architect, but
> often times the architect needs some help from the structural engineer.  And
> occassionaly the design team needs the input of a fire protection engineer.
> There are not many fire protection engineers.  
> The fire protection engineer can design assemblies to provide a given level
> of performance, but his designs will probably require the approval of the
> Building Official.  The summary answer is that the architect is the captain
> of the design team under which the fire protection engineer can be brought
> on board.  The design team provides a design that will probably require the
> approval of the building official.
> This is a link to many fire related links:
>   There is also a particularly good book
> by Walt Coon.  I don't have it in front of me, but it is something like Fire
> Protection Engineering Handbook for Architects and Engineers.
> Regards,
> Harold Sprague
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From:	Michael Zaitz [SMTP:mzaitz(--nospam--at)]
> > Sent:	Monday, June 26, 2000 9:44 AM
> > To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> > Subject:	Fire Protection
> > 
> > Hello,
> > 
> > We have a building which is required to be Type II construction per the
> > Standard
> > Building Code.  This requires the structural members to have fire ratings
> > from 2
> > to 4 hours depending on the member. I have not done a building that
> > requires
> > Fire Protection at this level.   My questions are:
> > 
> > Who's responsibility is the Fire Protection?  Ours, the Architect's or
> > both of
> > us.
> > 
> > Are there any good references out there on this subject?
> > 
> > I understand that there are prorated assemblies for fire rating.  Is this
> > published by the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL)?
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > 
> > Mike
> > 
> >