RE: cored concrete beams

Tony,

Use option (a).

I would be inclined to use a welded splice.  A coupler is better regarding
strength, but they are bigger than the parent bar and will increase the
requirement for cover.  I would chip out enough concrete to stagger the
splice location.  If you have a mill cert, preheat according to the CE.  If
you don't, you will need to assume worst case CE and preheat accordingly.

Depending on the CE, I would be more inclined to use a welded lap splice as
opposed to a welded butt splice.  If the CE is low, and the welder and
inspectors are good, a butt splice can be used.

Use an ASTM A706 splice bar.

Use certified welders, and require special inspection!!!

Regards,
Harold Sprague