Joist Girder Connections to Tubes

Mike,

I, for one, avoid connecting to the face of a tube under any circumstance ---
there is just too much opportunity for oil canning.

I don't know how clear the following illustration will come out, but here it
is:

   |      |<-----Face of Tube
   |      |
   |   --------
   |  |        |<-----Plates welded on each side of tube
   |  |        |
   |  |        |
   |   ----==== <-----Plate welded across side plates
   |      |
   |      |

Separately provide a loose "T"-shaped device that can be dropped in between
the bottom chord angles and field welded to the bottom chord, the bottom
plate shown above and to the tops of the two side plates.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Zaitz wrote:

>>I have a project where, due to the schedule, it is desired to use TS10 x 10
x 5/16 columns.  The problem is that I have joist girders that I am using for
frame action and therefore will have a concentrated load at my "stabilizer
plate".  After performing the calc's for the tube from the black book (Hollow
Structural Sections manual) the tube walls are not thick enough for my
concentrated load using a vertical plate (to get it to work would require a
26"
plate).  Has anyone else ran into this problem?  What other methods are there
for connecting the bottom chord?  Last, is there any concern for the joist
girder bottom chord for using an angle or plate horizontally instead of
vertically (I am going to call Vulcraft on this)?<<