RE: Steel Connections

James,

I have seen it and done it both ways.  From the consultant's point of view,
it takes extra time, money, and increases risk to show the reactions.  From
the owner's and contractor's point of view it saves money.

I kind of like a blend.  Specify the tables for loads not otherwise shown,
and show the loads where you feel that it is necessary.

Actually we should design all of our connections.  This is kind of an East
Coast - West Coast issue.  The West Coast stand is to detail them all.  The
East Coast uses performance specifications and leaves it up to the
fabricator to engage an engineer to design the connections subject to the
approval of the EOR.  At one time I worked for a fabricator and designed
connections day in and day out.

I assemble a table with various beam depths and show the connections both
welded and bolted.  The odd ball connections are detailed individually.  I
have found that the fabricators with beam lines (most of them) like the all
bolted connections.

Regards,
Harold Sprague