RE: Steel Connections

I am loyal to my employer and do not buck the system very often.

If you have a W8x24 GR50 spanning 5 feet and utilizing the uniform load tables that means you are designing that connection for 39k. A lot of extra work for the fabricator to develop, a lot of extra cost for the owner, and an engineer who does not agree with this. The beam has hardly any load on it and a typical two bolt connection would be adequate. This is my point. I like showing the reactions because it makes checking shop drawings easier. I do not have to fumble through stacks of calculations or look up reactions. Do fabricators have difficulty with odd concentrated loads in determining the equivalent uniform load. Putting a reaction on the drawings is not a difficult task.

James

From: Acie Chance <achance(--nospam--at)lacsd.org>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Steel Connections
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:29:28 -0700

James

     Who signs the checks you cash? As long as there is no safety risks I
believe in doing as the "BOSS" wants. By the way it works well at home too. If the actual load is larger you show the actual load. The slight pain I feel for
the client in cases like this is more then over ridden by loyalty to my
employer ( Old School Thinking). If the issue is safety then there is no
question, always go with safety. If it really bothers you find a new job.