RE: Steel Connections

James,

I agree with Harold.  What he described is typically how I am used to
doing it.  We will show the "actual" reactions for the beams with a
general note that calls for the use of the "uniform load" method if a
reaction is not shown (which it typically is).  Note that I put the word
"actual" in quotes...we actually increase the actual reaction by about
10%.  This allows for easier future flexibility such as when the floor
needs to support a higher load in the future...the extra reaction
requirement might eliminate or minimize the need for costly connection
reinforcement.

Similar to Harold, we have our "typical" connection details with allowable
reactions for the various connection types.  For example, we have double
angle connection detail with a specified angle thickness and minimum web
thickness for the beam that has an associated table of allowable reactions
for 2 bolts, 3 bolts, etc.  The allowable reactions have already been
calculated based upon the minimum criteria established in the detail.  If
the actual connection does not fit with in the criteria then a "special"
detail needs to be designed (typically by the fabricator/detailer - i.e.
East coast methodology) and checked (by EOR).  We have similar details for
single angle, shear tabs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE