Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Joist Girder Connections to Tubes

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
If your connecting to the face of a structural tube there is a product
called a Hollo-Bolt available for Lindapter NA in Ann Arbor. It is basically
a steel anchor which fits inside a hole drilled into the tube face. You can
fasten from the outside face with a couple of wrenches. More info is
available on

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Roger Turk [SMTP:73527.1356(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Tuesday, June 27, 2000 10:29 PM
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Joist Girder Connections to Tubes
> Mike,
> I, for one, avoid connecting to the face of a tube under any circumstance
> --- 
> there is just too much opportunity for oil canning.
> I don't know how clear the following illustration will come out, but here
> it 
> is:
>    |      |<-----Face of Tube
>    |      |
>    |   --------
>    |  |        |<-----Plates welded on each side of tube
>    |  |        |
>    |  |        |
>    |   ----==== <-----Plate welded across side plates
>    |      |
>    |      |
> Separately provide a loose "T"-shaped device that can be dropped in
> between 
> the bottom chord angles and field welded to the bottom chord, the bottom 
> plate shown above and to the tops of the two side plates.
> Hope this helps.
> A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> Tucson, Arizona
> Michael Zaitz wrote:
> >>I have a project where, due to the schedule, it is desired to use TS10 x
> 10 
> x 5/16 columns.  The problem is that I have joist girders that I am using
> for
> frame action and therefore will have a concentrated load at my "stabilizer
> plate".  After performing the calc's for the tube from the black book
> (Hollow
> Structural Sections manual) the tube walls are not thick enough for my
> concentrated load using a vertical plate (to get it to work would require
> a
> 26"
> plate).  Has anyone else ran into this problem?  What other methods are
> there
> for connecting the bottom chord?  Last, is there any concern for the joist
> girder bottom chord for using an angle or plate horizontally instead of
> vertically (I am going to call Vulcraft on this)?<<