Re: Steel Connections

John Riley wrote:

> "A two bolt connection, single shear, 3/4" ASTM A325N is good for (2)(9.3k) =
> 18.6 kips." ..... "The two bolt connection would yield 91% of the
> table-derived
> requirement, and that's close enough for me."

Are you saying that a 2 bolt shear tab connection is good for 18.6 kips?
According to my experience, and based on AISC Table X-A (ASD), a 2 bolt shear
tab with 3/4" A325 bolts is only good for 8.2 kips.  Therefore the connection
only yields 40% of the table derived requirement for your example.  Is that
still close enough for you?

Bolt shear is not the only failure mode that you should be checked when
designing a connection.  It is only one failure mode and is not the critical
failure mechanism in this condition.