From: Scott E Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 9:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Firewall construction

I have a building which may require a firewall (as opposed to a fire
seperation wall).  Just to make sure that we are talking apples to
apples,
my understanding of the "definition" for a firewall is that it is rated
wall that must remain standing if the building to either side falls down
(collapses).

All my experience with firewalls has been to actually construct two
walls,
each one attached to one of the structures.  Thus, if one structure
collapses , there will still be a wall in place and the other structure
will not collapse due to the one side collapsing.

My question is :  Has anyone done a firewall that consists of one wall?

In the building that I am working on, the structure on one side is a
high
bay with a truss and purlin roof and WF columns.  The other side is a
two story office building with composite steel floor beams,
non-composite
roof beams and steel columns.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks,