From: Peter Higgins <JillHiggins(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: "INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Steel Connections
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 01:40:27 -0400

At the risk of seemng like an old curmudgeon, simply detail the beams for
moximum rows of 3/4" bolts in 3/8" plate, single shear in the beams, double
shear in the girders, and be done with it. If you have beams with webs
thicker than 3/8" (or, heaven forbid, girders thicker than 3/4"),  you
either don't need my input at all, or probably wouldn't listen anyway.

The cost of doing it this way vs. detailing out all the different reactions
(be they AISC or computed) is absolutely minimal, and the structure
benefits enormously. Put the money in the structure, not the detailer's
pocket.

Peter S. Higgins, SE