RE: Firewall construction

Scott,

The 2 general types of fire resistant walls are fire walls and area
separation walls.  In the IBC, area separation walls are a subset of fire
barriers.

There are manufacturers of melt off anchors that can accommodate an
attachment to a single wall.  I have generally designed and detailed the
walls and structures to avoid melt off anchors.  In low seismic zones, a
single interior fire wall can be designed to cantilever from the foundation.
In high seismic areas the differential structural movement can be a
significant problem that tends to force you into 2 walls.

Regards,
Harold Sprague