Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Firewall construction

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

The 2 general types of fire resistant walls are fire walls and area
separation walls.  In the IBC, area separation walls are a subset of fire

There are manufacturers of melt off anchors that can accommodate an
attachment to a single wall.  I have generally designed and detailed the
walls and structures to avoid melt off anchors.  In low seismic zones, a
single interior fire wall can be designed to cantilever from the foundation.
In high seismic areas the differential structural movement can be a
significant problem that tends to force you into 2 walls.

Harold Sprague

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Scott E Maxwell [SMTP:smaxwell(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Wednesday, June 28, 2000 8:44 AM
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Firewall construction
> I have a building which may require a firewall (as opposed to a fire
> seperation wall).  Just to make sure that we are talking apples to apples,
> my understanding of the "definition" for a firewall is that it is rated
> wall that must remain standing if the building to either side falls down
> (collapses).
> All my experience with firewalls has been to actually construct two walls,
> each one attached to one of the structures.  Thus, if one structure
> collapses , there will still be a wall in place and the other structure
> will not collapse due to the one side collapsing.
> My question is :  Has anyone done a firewall that consists of one wall?
> In the building that I am working on, the structure on one side is a high
> bay with a truss and purlin roof and WF columns.  The other side is a
> two story office building with composite steel floor beams, non-composite
> roof beams and steel columns.
> Any thoughts or comments?
> Thanks,
> Scott Maxwell, PE, SE