Expected Yield Strength of Steel?

Friends,

We are working on a steel building design, and the code (BOCA-99) has
directed us to use the AISC Seismic Provisions, Part 1 and 3.  However,
it looks like we're getting re-directed into something that looks like,
well, like LRFD.  Anyway, for the moment connection design we now need
to the "expected yield strength" of the steel.  We are specifying ASTM
A992 (Fy= 50 ksi).  Does anybody have the answer?  Is this supposed to
be case by case or can we just say we "expect" it to be around XXX Ksi?
Do we need to do something, and then verify it with mill test results?

Thanks for the help,  Mike

Michael D. Ritter, PE
Senior Structural Engineer
Lockwood Greene Technologies