Re: Design of Circular Bin Roof

Try "Design of Steel Bins for Storage of Bulk Solids" by Gaylord and Gaylord.

>>> tmadlem(--nospam--at)tlf-engineers.com 06/28/00 03:56PM >>>

Does anyone have any recommendations on references for the design of a
circular roof of steel plate for a circular bin?  This is an existing
structure consisting of an inner and outer steel plate.  The roof does not
have any type of arched ribs to stiffen the plates.  I need to enlarge an
existing opening in the roof shell and need to determine what, if any,
reinforcing is required.

I have the book Tubular Steel Structures from the Lincoln Arc Welding
Foundation, but could only find information on ribbed domes.  Are there any
US Army Corps of Engineers documents available online to help me out?
Although I could model it in the computer, I would like to know how to do it
by hand so I can justify the results the computer would spit out at me.

Thanks for any help on how I should go about attacking this.

Troy Madlem
Ter Horst, Lamson & Fisk, Inc.
mailto:tmadlem(--nospam--at)tlf-engineers.com