Re: Expected Yield Strength of Steel?

I assume that BOCA 1999 references the 1997 AISC Seismic provisions.
Thus, my response is based off that assumption.

Per section 6.2 of part I of the 1997 AISC Seismic provisions, the
expected yield strength is Ry*Fy, where Fy is minimum yield for the
material (50 ksi in your case) and Ry is 1.5 for A36, 1.3 for A572 gr 42
and 1.1 for other grades for rolled sections.  Thus, your expected yield
should be 50*1.1=55 ksi.

The seismic provisions were created and based off of LRFD principles.
However, there is part III which is the ASD alternative.  It basically
modifies the LRFD provisions in Part I to an ASD-like approach.

Hope this helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE