RE: taping plumb-bob?

Ken,

For a few pipes and ducts, you drop a plumb bob, mark the floor, measure the
height above the floor with a steel tape, and measure the distance from the
column grids.  (low tech)

For a lot of pipes and ducts, I would bring a surveyor in using Total
Station (high tech).  They can lay out a very complicated pipe and duct
system in 3D in an afternoon.  The Total Station initial set up costs a lot
so the cost per hour is relatively high, but once the data is collected it
can be overlaid on a CAD drawing in a very short amount of time.  Your total
time is much less than the low tech solution.

Call your local surveyors, ask them if they have Total Station capabilities.

Regards,
Harold Sprague