RE: Cracking in Concrete Slabs on Grade

Jim,

I never put the concrete slab in direct contact with polyurethane.  It will
cause curling.  Some recommend punching holes in the polyurethane.  I don't.
I put crusher fines between the concrete slab and the polyurethane.

The surface of the bottom of the concrete slab is one horizontal plane.
There are no thickened slabs or drops at the columns.  These areas will
result in constraints.  If additional foundation support is required for
walls or small point loads, it is a separate pour and the horizontal slip
plane is maintained.  Columns are treated as penetrations, and are wrapped
in closed cell foam to isolate the column.  Penetrations and re-entrant
corners are given extra rebar at the corners.

My slabs use the following construction:
With vapor barrier:
	Concrete slab reinforced with rebar
	3" layer of compacted crusher fines
	Vapor barrier
	3" layer of open graded and compacted 3/8" gravel to serve as a
capillary break
	prepared base

Without vapor barrier:
	Concrete slab reinforced with rebar
	3" layer of compacted crusher fines
	6 mil polyurethane slip sheet
	2" layer of compacted crusher fines
	prepared base

It is also good to keep in mind that the slab shrinks to the center.

Regards,
Harold Sprague