RE: washers

Paul,

Generally washers are not required, the exceptions are for A325 and A490
bolts are contained in the AISC LRFD 2nd Ed. p 6-381 to p 6-382, Sect.
7.(c).

I am aware of no requirement for washers for A307 bolts in standard sized
holes.  That said, I wish you luck on using 1/16" over nominal holes for
base plates.  Contractors have struggled with 5/16" over on base plates
since Andrew Carnegie was kicking.  I personally require washers over all
slotted and oversized holes.  I use generously oversized holes in column
base plates (per the LRFD Manual) and use plate washers called out on the
plans.

Regards,
Harold Sprague