Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: taping plumb-bob?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
If you are planning to do a lot of field measurements, look into the laser
measuring devices available.  From the floor, you can direct the laser up to
the bottom of a beam, then to the bottom of the deck, and with some simple
math, you have the depth of beam.  We also have used it to field verify beam
locations from the floor by making marks on the floor where we sited the
beam center line.  If you can see the duct or pipe, you can hit it from the

It's a lot faster, easier and safer than a ladder or lift and using a

I know Hilti makes one called PD10 Laser Range Meter.

Paul Blomberg
From: Ken Peoples
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: taping plumb-bob?
Date: Thursday, June 29, 2000 6:19AM

We have a need to measure (field locate) a lot of
piping and ducts that are hung from the roof of an
industrial building.  I don't need to be terribly
accurate - just to within an inch or so.  In
considering how to do this, I thought that it would be
nice to be able to drop a plumb-bob (no matter now I
write that I don't think the spelling is correct) down
from a lift and be able to measure the vertical
distance to the floor (actually from the plumb bob
string?) without having to use a flimsy tape.  Has
anyone seen something like I am describing?  I guess
it could be digital.  I could use a cloth tape and
attach a plumb-bob to it somehow but that doesn't
appeal to me as much as having something that is
actually made for the situation.  Any ideas? (using a
survey instrument is not really feasible where this is
located because of a lot of fork truck traffic)
Thanks for your thoughts,
Ken Peoples, P.E.