Re: [RE: Dade County, Florida, wind requirments.]

Miami-Dade County uses the South Florida Building Code, 1994
 w/ several supplements. Broward has some differences.

Wind spec is ASCE 7-93 (they will not generally accept -95 or -98)
v=110 mph, exposure D at coastline, else C at hurricane oceanline

Openings need windows/doors approved for calculated pressures,
then approved protection(shutters) for missile impact (2x4 @ 35mph).
Some suppliers have impact resistant windows.

No staples on roofs; check uplift paths thoroughly.

ASCE 7-98 will be adopted with the Florida Building Code at
v=146 mph, about 2001.

Jorge A. Naya, PE

"Sprague, Harold O." <SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com> wrote:
Marlou,

It has been awhile since I did a job in Dade County, but I think that they
allow the use of the ASCE latest edition which is now the ASCE 7-98.  Of
more interest are provisions that were written because of hurricane Andrew
in Dade County.  One provision which is optional (as I understand it) is for
impact resistant glazing. (Re: "SBCCI Test Standard for Determining Impact
Resistance from Windborne Debris", SSTD 12-94, Southern Building Code
Congress International.)

Factory Mutual Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets 1-28 should also be
consulted for roof deck recommendations.  Factory Mutual requirements became
more restrictive following hurricane Andrew.

Regards,
Harold Sprague