RE: Joist Girder Connections to Tubes[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Joist Girder Connections to Tubes
- From: Charlie Carter <carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:12:39 -0500
>I just called the Ann Arbor office for info on bolt.
>The 20M (3/4" dia.) fastener, which lists a 8,992
>shear capacity into the face of a HSS5x5x1/4,
>costs $11.75 per bolt! ......compare this to the
>$1.00 you'll spend on conventional A325's and
>it's clear this is for special applications only.
You're right about the cost difference, but since conventional bolting isn't usually possible for the HSS application (due to the inaccessibility of the inside), the comparison might be more appropriately (and favorably) made to the cost of a suitably equivalent welded connection. Welding can cost in the range of $30 to $60 per pound of weld metal placed. I don't mean this to imply in any way that welding is not economical. It quite often is very economical.
- Prev by Subject: RE: Joist Girder Connections to Tubes
- Next by Subject: Re: Joist Program
- Previous by thread: RE: Joist Girder Connections to Tubes
- Next by thread: Steel Connections