Concrete Cover for Vert. Dowels

Definitely!

My GSN require that reinforcing in footings be supported on either concrete
or plastic supports and that any metal embedded in the ground not be in
contact with any reinforcing.  I further prohibit using concrete reinforcing
for an electrical ground.  There are enough problems with electrolytic
corrosion without deliberately sending stray currents into the reinforcing.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Ed Fasula wrote:

>>I think many contractors will typically stick vertical dowels into the
ground and tie horizontal bars to them for support in, for example, a spread
footing.

 It seems that the rusting dowel could create spalling and the electrical
connection to the structural reinforcing would promote its rusting.

Are these concerns warranted?<<